Monday, November 30, 2015

December 1

Saint Augustine wrote to God of time:

'[I]n you there is no "today" that passes. Yet in you our "today" does pass, inasmuch as all things exist in you, and would have no means of passing away if you did not contain them.  Because your years do not fail, you are one "Today." How many of our days and our ancestors' days have come and gone in this "Today" of yours?"

 Although I am only at the beginning of Augustine's work, "The Confessions," I am guessing that despite all his questions, God doesn't exactly get around to answering them in the form either Augustine (or I) would want.  No, written answers on iPads or tablets. But this selection has me thinking....

When I wake up tomorrow it will be December 1.  Ever since I moved out the house and could not tell Mom in person, I would call her on that day, and let her know I knew this day was hard on her.  Her sister Pat died on it in 1977.  Mom was a woman who remembered days.  Birthdays, wedding anniversaries, and death days.  She wasn't morbid, but she took the time to be solemn.  For Pat, Mass was usually in order, said in her loved sister's memory, a candle was lit as well, and, if the weather would allow, she had a quiet walk from church back to home.  Church to home. And then, at some point my phone call.  Our words were brief, but I know she looked toward the day she would see Pat again and rejoice.

So tomorrow, when Mom wakes up, if that is what you get to do in heaven, there will be no mourning, no shedding of tears, or solemn remembrance.  They will be together.  And I should be happy for that....I'm working on that....

But what if there is no day to remember, what if all our days and hers and Pat's are just one today?  If that's the case.  I'll see you tomorrow, or, rather later today, Mom...

Too much, I know.  So I will leave you with this.  A good day all and all.  A missed outside run became an opportunity to learn from a morning television preacher about self pity and its costs.  Hint.  We create our own emptiness, so work for others, and there riches lay.  I believe that.  A busy day, like other busy days, but time to connect, a treadmill purchased (YEAH! no more cold, dark runs!), a gift from Abbie, and now back to her and Richard.

Good night or Good morning.  It's all in a day.


No comments:

Post a Comment